Re: Input output disappear

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39371] Re: Input output disappear
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 04:52:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bill,
The removal of labels on closing a notebook is controled by the cell option
CellLabelAutoDelete (see Option Inspector).
The connection between In[n], Out[n] and memory lasts until the kernel is
quit.

--
Allan

---------------------
Allan Hayes
Mathematica Training and Consulting
Leicester UK
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk
Voice: +44 (0)116 271 4198
Fax: +44 (0)870 164 0565

"Bill Rowe" <listuser at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:b2d1gi$eag$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> On 2/11/03 at 4:40 AM, paulom at compos.com.br (Paulom) wrote:
>
> >Why when I save a notebook, the input output disappears?
>
> I assume "the input output disappears" means the "In[n]" and "Out[n]" that
appears to the left of an expression after it is evaluated by Mathematica. I
also assume, by save you mean save, *close* then re-open the particular
notebook.

> Basically, the In[] and Out[] are pointers to memory where the results of
an expression reside. While you have the notebook open (before closing it)
there is a clear link between the contents of memory and expressions in that
notebook that have been executed. Once the notebook is closed, that link is
severed. There is no practical way to re-link expressions in a notebook to
the location in memory where the results are once the notebook as been
closed.

> >Is there any way to correct this?
>
> Assuming I've understood your question properly, no. But I am curious as
to what you are trying to do that prompts the question.