Re: Derivative help

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg39468] Re: Derivative help
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 04:34:51 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <b1dg35$7ar$1 at>,
 "Steve Chiang" <stevezx at> wrote:

> Hi, all.  I'm new to Mathematica.  I went to the help section for my
> question but it only further confused me.  I'm basically trying to take the
> first derivative of (ln(x))^x.  Here is my syntax: f = (ln(x))^x.

In contrast to most responses in this thread this syntax is ok -- as
long as you use TraditionalForm for input (under the Cell menu | Default
Input FormatType). Personally I prefer TraditionalForm for input and

> But then when I evaluate f ', it says nothing but ((ln(x))^x)' which is
> nothing new.

In TraditionalForm you could enter

   f = (ln(x))^x

Alternatively, you can make f an explicit function of x,

   f[x_] = (ln(x))^x

or make f a pure function.

   f = Function[x, (ln(x))^x]