Re: Integer factorization in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39485] Re: Integer factorization in Mathematica
  • From: "flip" <flip_alpha at safebunch.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 04:41:56 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Jes Hansen" <eq0y4q5qvpbfvv8tyylmwxj02 at sneakemail.com> wrote in message
news:b2rq0g$e6k$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> I have looked at the built-in factorization algorithms in Mathematica, and
> is surprised not to find the two fastest algorithms, the MPQS and the NFS.
>
> Has anyone created a notebook using those algorithms for integer
> factorization, and if so, where can I get it?
> --
> Regards
> Jes Hansen

Hello,

The book "Prime Numbers, A Computational Perspective" by Crandall and
Pomerance has these algorithms.

A related company (I think) has coded all 112 algorithms in the book (QS and
NFS included) in various languages including Mathematica.

However, one gets the impression that this book comes with said code, not
true!  The book is around $US 50.00 and so is the code (to my disappointment
after having purchased said book).

Other than that, you can look to the books by Cohen and by Riesel for more
details on factoring algorithms.

I was looking for similar tools to experiment with like Fermat's, Pollards
Rho, p-1, p+1, ECM and the ones above, but have not found them.

HTH, Flip