Domain of Sin[ArcSin[x]] ?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg39620] Domain of Sin[ArcSin[x]] ?
- From: mbuescher at hb.edu (Michael Buescher)
- Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:42:54 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: Hathaway Brown School
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I want to demonstrate to my students that in the real number system,
Sin[ArcSin[x]] is only defined on [-1,1] because that is the domain of
ArcSin[x]. When I Plot the composition, however, I get Sin[ArcSin[x]] =
x for all real numbers, not just on [-1,1]. I tried this both with and
without the RealOnly package.
Is there any way to ensure that Mathematica uses only real numbers in
its calculations, so that Sin[ArcSin[x]] is undefined when ArcSin[x] is
not a real number?
Hathaway Brown School
Prev by Date:
Re: Speed Tips
Next by Date:
Simplification of vector and scalar products
Previous by thread:
Re: signal detector question
Next by thread:
Re: Domain of Sin[ArcSin[x]] ?