Re: Cursors in graphics

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg39615] Re: Cursors in graphics
  • From: "John Jowett" <John.Jowett at>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:42:19 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

"Paul Abbott" <paul at> wrote in message
news:b3f8g3$d7u$1 at
> In article <b3a5s6$18v$1 at>,
>  "Y.A.Tesiram" <yas at> wrote:
> > I want to add cross-hairs to graphics so that I can navigate along a
> > which is the result of say MultipleListPlot or ListPlot. Currently, I
> > just made functions that let me replot my plots close to the regions I'm
> > interested in and I "guesstimate" the coordinates by drawing a fine
> Perhaps
>   FrontEndExecute[  FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["OtherInformation",
>     "Get Graphics Coordinates..."]]
> will help. On a Macintosh, if you hold down the \[OptionKey] as well,
> you can draw a rectangle on a graphic and paste the corners as the new
> PlotRange.

Paul, that's very useful.  By experimenting, I found that the Ctrl-Alt
combination does the same on Windows.

I also discovered another undocumented feature: by holding down Ctrl and
dragging you can digitise your freehand curve tracing or other doodling.
After selecting, a Ctrl-C is always needed to copy the list of coordinate
pairs to the clipboard.

John Jowett