Unfixed Bug in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38661] Unfixed Bug in Mathematica
  • From: smudge <smudge at shell01.TheWorld.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 00:16:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I reported this bug to Wolfram Research two years ago
when I found it in Mathematica version 4.0. I just got version 4.2
and the bug is still present, so I thought I'd report it
here again to give everyone a heads-up.

If I define

   In[1]:= eq = D[f[x, y, t], x, t] + D[f[x, y, t], y, t];

and integrate it with respect to t I get

   In[2]:= Integrate[eq, t]

              (0,1,0)
   Out[2]= 2 f       [x,y,t]

which is clearly wrong. I also have an example where DSolve
shows the same erroneous behavior.

If I map the the integration over the expression I get the
correct result

   In[3]:= Map[Integrate[#, t] &, eq]

            (0,1,0)           (1,0,0)
   Out[3]= f       [x,y,t] + f       [x,y,t]

Russ Todd