Re: Symbolic Calculation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38726] Re: Symbolic Calculation
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kjm@KevinMcCann>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 07:26:23 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Ashraf,

You should read up on Solve, here is what you want to do

Solve[Y==C+M+v*Y,Y]

the Mathematica response is
{{ Y->(C+M)/(1-v)}}

A couple of things to note:

1) the "equals" in the equation is a double = sign.
2) I wrote v*Y instead of vY as you did. You
    could also put a space between the v and Y
    instead: v Y
3) the answer is a Rule. You will need to read up on those as well.

Here is one way to use the result:

soln=Solve[Y==C+M+v*Y,Y]
y=Y/.soln[[1]]

you will now have y = (C+M)/(1-v)