Re: Symbolic Calculation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38733] Re: [mg38713] Symbolic Calculation
  • From: "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 07:26:53 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

on 1/6/03 3:43 AM, Ashraf El Ansary at Elansary at btopenworld.com wrote:

> Dear all,
> Does anyone know how to solve dynamic models using Mathematica.
> Example:
> Y= C+M+vY
> all I want to do is to get a symbolic solution to that equation i.e
> Y-vY=C+M
> Y=(C+M)/(1-v)!!!

I assume that by your use of the term "dynamic models" you mean that this is
a matrix equation?  If so, you're pretty much out of luck.  This is, to me
at least, probably the biggest on-going disappointment in Mathematica.  Many
physics and engineering problems, and especially in the teaching of physics
and engineeering, involve the general solution of matrix equations.  I've
yet to find a package that allows for matrix equation solutions as we've all
seen done on the blackboard in college.  (Perhaps I've not looked in all the
right places or I misunderstand some package that's out there.  If so, I'd
be overjoyed to be proven wrong.)

- Eric.

--

Eric Strobel (fyzycyst at NOSPAM^mailaps.org)

What if the 'Hokey-Pokey' really IS what it's all about??