inverse laplace transform of products / convolution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38767] inverse laplace transform of products / convolution
  • From: Stephan Adam <stn78 at web.de>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:33:19 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 Hello!

 Could you plase help me with the following problem and post it in the
 mathgroup ?

 I'm trying to solve answers of distributed parameter systems (PDEs)
 using Laplace-Transform.
 Really often i come around an equation if the form

 x[t,z]=InverseLaplaceTransform[X[s,z],s,t].

 Now the problem is that i want to get an symbolic result for x[t,z] if
 X[s,z] is the product of two functions:
 X[s,z]=G[s,z]*U[s,z]

 When doing
 In=InverseLaplaceTransform[(G[s,z]*U[s,z]),s,t]

 with two or one unknown functions Mathematica simply answers

 Out=InverseLaplaceTransform[(G[s,z]*U[s,z]),s,t]

 Now, does anyone know how I can get the convolution of these two
 functions as a result when doing the InverseLaplace-Transform ?

 I want Mathematica to give the solution in the form of the convolution
 of the (unknown) Inverse Functions, but I do not know how to make a
 program that will make it..
 This form of solution would enable one to have a compact solution for
 various diffferent kinds of functions X and U.. instead of every time
 choosing a specific X and U and then compute the
 InverseLaplaceTransform (which most often functions without problems).

 Thank you for your help in andvance,
 Stephan
 (stn78 at web.de)

Werden Sie kreativ! Bei WEB.DE FreeMail hei?t es jetzt nicht nur schreiben,
sondern auch gestalten. http://freemail.web.de/features/?mc=021142