Re: Shortcut to select cell?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38991] Re: Shortcut to select cell?
  • From: "Carl K. Woll" <carlw at u.washington.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:06:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Kirk,

This question has come up before, and you could search the archives at
google or wolfram to find an answer.

At any rate, the simplest way to select a cell while the cursor is in the
cell is to repeatedly hit Ctrl-.  until the vertical bar is highlighted. The
main problem with this approach is that if you hit Ctrl-. one too many
times, you will select a whole bunch of cells. A smaller problem is that if
you are deeply buried within a cell, it may take many Ctrl-.s to select the
cell.

A more complicated method to do what you want which avoids the above
problems is to create a new hot key by editing the KeyEventTranslations.tr
system file. If you are interested in doing this, you can search the
archives for discussions about this file, or you can fiddle with the file
(after you save a copy of it). One thing to watch out for is to avoid using
hot keys that have already been defined for the menu system. The menu hot
keys are defined in the file MenuSetup.tr.

If you want to pursue the second option above, feel free to ask for more
advice.

Carl Woll
Physics Dept
U of Washington