Re: Derivative help

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39156] Re: [mg39139] Derivative help
  • From: Dr Bob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:57:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You really are new to Mathematica.  Parentheses are used for grouping, but
square brackets are used for function arguments, and the Log function is,
well, Log.  Also, the way you entered f, it would be an expression, but not
a function (since you don't say what its argument is, or that it has an
argument).  Here are a few ways to do it:

f = Log[#]^# &
f'[x]

Log[#1]^#1 & Log[x]^x*(1/Log[x] + Log[Log[x]])

or

D[Log[x]^x, x]

Log[x]^x*(1/Log[x] + Log[Log[x]])

or