Re: Derivative help

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39160] Re: [mg39139] Derivative help
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:57:21 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The problem is with your syntax. You must learn about the use of
parentheses, which play specific roles in Mathematica. Furthermore, the
assignment f = "something" doesn't leave f as a function of x, but rather as
a name for a symbol. And of course you may not evaluate the derivative of a
symbol. What you must do is a proper definition of f as a function of x,
such as

In[1]:=
f[x_] := Log[x]^x

Then

In[2]:=
f'[x]
Out[2]=
Log[x]^x*(1/Log[x] + Log[Log[x]])

which is what you want (I presume).

I strongly recommend that you spend a few weeks reading, from beginning to
end, at least the first part of The Mathematica Book, A Practical
Introduction to Mathematica. Sections 1.2.5 and 1.7.1 therein are especially
relevant to your present problem.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City