variable definition help

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42379] variable definition help
  • From: "seferiad" <seferiad at pacbell.net>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 06:10:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

When defining functions, any of the following seem to be commonly used
(assuming the function is of one variable, x):

f   or   f[x]   or   f[x_].

Can someone point me to an explanation that defines the pros/cons of using
one approach over the other. In particular, when I should use  f[x]   vs.
f[x_].

 Thanks, Jay