Re: variable definition help

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42400] Re: variable definition help
  • From: gohtk at rocketmail.com (goh tat kean)
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 01:33:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Jay,

The help file on defining functions gives the following explanation:

If you define a function,

f[x_]:= x^2

You can f squares its argument, The argument can be a number. Or it
can be a more complicated expression.

In[2]:= f[a+1]
Out[2]:= (1+a)^2

In[3]:= f[4]
Out[3]:= 16

In[4]:= f[3x + x^2]
Out[4]:= (3x + x^2)^2

In[5]:= Clear[f]

However, if you use f[x],

f[x]:= x^2

and, give the following arguments to the function,

f[a+1], f[4] and f[3x + x^2]

You will obtain,

f[1+a], f[4] and f[3x + x^2]

Good luck!