A puzzle for Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42393] A puzzle for Mathematica
  • From: "Souvik Banerjee" <s-banerjee at nwu.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 01:33:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

How many n x n binary matrices (that is, whose elements are either 0 or 1)
are possible such that each row and each column sum exactly to m <= n (both
m and n are positive integers)?

How do you solve this in Mathematica? A method for generating would be good
to although not necessary.

Thanks,

-Souvik