RE: Question about Notation Palette and Rewrite Rules

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42403] RE: [mg42396] Question about Notation Palette and Rewrite Rules
  • From: "Wolf, Hartmut" <Hartmut.Wolf at t-systems.com>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 03:10:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 7:33 AM
>To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>Subject: [mg42403] [mg42396] Question about Notation Palette and Rewrite Rules
>

>I'm working on problems involving a Lagrangian and
>neet to have my first derivatives outputted with
>either an overdot or a double overdot.  I've tried the
>notation palette but seem to be doing something wrong.
>
>I'm also working on another problem where applying an
>operation (complex conjugation) places an overbar
>above a symbol, or removes it if there is one present.
> The operation needs to work for products.  I've tried
>rewrite rules, but again seem to be missing something
>of importance.
>

>Geoff Cope

Geoff,

I could not solve your palette problem in only short time available (someone
might continue this), however executing the following few lines might help
you in part.

OverDot[q_][t] := Derivative[1][q][t]

OverDot[q_, n_?Positive][t] := Derivative[n][q][t]

Format[Derivative[n_][q_][t]] := HoldForm[OverDot[q, n][t]]

<< "Calculus`VariationalMethods`"

L = 1/2 m OverDot[x][t]^2 + V[x[t], t]

EulerEquations[L, x[t], t]

--