Re: programming in mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42412] Re: [mg42389] programming in mathematica
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 03:10:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

First, a point on syntax: multiplication requires inserting a "*" or leaving
an empty space between factors. Second, if I understand correctly, you wish
to substitute the variable z by a - h? In that case, use ReplaceAll (/.),
e.g.

In[2]:=
g*(z^h/(a*z^b + c*z^d + e*z^f)) /. z -> a - h
Out[2]=
(g*(a - h)^h)/(a*(a - h)^b + c*(a - h)^d + e*(a - h)^f)

This may be applied to any expression, in your case the sum of all the
fractions at the same time.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City