Re: programming in mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42410] Re: [mg42389] programming in mathematica
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <selwynh at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 03:10:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Laura,

I'm going to assume that in gz^h/(az^b+cz^d+ez^f) the exponents b, d, f
are distinct.

Define the pattern

     pat := (g_.*z^h_.)/(a_.*z^b_. + c_.*z^d_. + e_.*z^f_.)

(The dots after the blanks make those bits "optional", defaulting to 1.)

Next define the rule

     pick := pat -> {a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h}

Now, for example,

     (2*z^3)/(3*z + 7*z^2 - 2*z^5) /. pick

      {3, 1, 7, 2, -2, 5, 2, 3}

For a list of such fractions, say,

     r := Random[Integer, {1, 9}];
     test := Cases[Table[(r*z^r)/(r*z^r + r*z^r + r*z^r), {10}], pat];

just apply the rule to the list:

    results = test /. pick

     {{3, 5, 3, 6, 6, 7, 7, 9}, {7, 3, 5, 7, 5, 8, 7, 2},
      {1, 2, 4, 8, 3, 9, 6, 7}, {1, 2, 5, 7, 9, 9, 1, 8}}

and if you want to add them,

    Plus @@ results

     {12, 12, 17, 28, 23, 33, 21, 26}

Hope this helps...