Why is it so???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42426] Why is it so???
  • From: Mike <mikeh1980 at optusnet.com.au>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 06:57:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

A few things puzzle me even though they are not vital:

1. Occasionally when I execute a cell the output appears not immediately
under the executed cell but it skips a cell. For example if I have some
input followed by a text cell the output occasionally will appear under the
text cell! Why?

2. I keep "teaching" Mathematica certain words so that they will not appear
as incorrectly spelt when I do a spell check. Regardless of how often I
press "learn" when I do a spell check these words still stop the spell
checking procedure and bring up a  window asking me to "skip", "replace",
etc.  Now I've checked the options and I have a library of words stored yet
words that are in that library still cause the program to stop and prompt a
spell check.
For example if I have "irritating" stored in my library (after having
pressed "learn" on many occasions) the spell checker will still stop at the
word "irritating." Why?

3. I have highlighted some comments in input cells in red, i.e. (* red
comments *). I have my stylesheet configured with the print versions of
input specifically defined with FontColor->GrayLevel[0].  Yet when I print
the red stuff still comes out red!  Why doesn't the printout specification
of my stylesheet overule localised stuff in a cell?

4. The magical addition of slashes has been discussed elsewhere in this
group is also an irritation. That discussion was in the context of notebooks
transferred across platforms. I find that slashes magically appear in
notebooks I haven't opened for awhile (yet have not moved from my hard
drive). Why?

This is all happening with V4.2 on Mac OS X.
thanks

Mike