Re: --Parallel Computing w/beowulf cluster

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42576] Re: [mg42472] --Parallel Computing w/beowulf cluster
  • From: Omega Consulting <info at omegaconsultinggroup.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:13:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 02:36 AM 7/10/2003, Eric Bittner wrote:

>This is addressed mostly to people using the Parallel Computation Tool
>kit.
>
>The problem that I have is that I want to run a task using a series of
>remote nodes that are behind a firewall or part of a beowulf cluster
>but using a local frontend on my desktop computer.
>i.e envision the following topology:
>
>(me.edu)----(beowulf.edu)
>                                + (node1.beowulf.edu , node2.beowulf.edu,
>..... )
>

>where node#.beowulf.edu    are nodes within the beowulf cluster
>or behind a  firewall  that cannot be accessed directly via the internet
>but can be accessed from within by logging on to the main node of the
>cluster.
>
>Is it possible to set up a RemoteSlave from my desktop to
>   the main node (beowulf.edu)
>and have it launch RemoteSlaves on the internal nodes?
>
>The alternate (which works fine) is to open an X11 window for a
>remote front-end on beowulf.edu and go from there.  The trouble is that
>the cluster itself is located at a remote location (across campus) and
>I hate
>to waste the bandwidth and cycles keeping a window open.
>
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks,
>Eric Bittner
>

>--
>Prof. Eric R. Bittner
>Department of Chemistry
>Univ. of Houston
>ph:  713-743-2775    fax: 713-743-2709
>bittner at uh.edu
>http://k2.chem.uh.edu/bittner/
>-------------------
>The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent upon
>it,
>can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the
>universe
>to do. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Probably the simplest thing to do is connect the front end on your machine
(me.edu) directly to a kernel on your master machine (beowolf.edu).

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/kernel/configure/general/30.html

Then, you can launch the slaves in the normal way.

Omega Consulting
"The final answer to your Mathematica needs"
http://omegaconsultinggroup.com