--Parallel Computing w/beowulf cluster

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42472] --Parallel Computing w/beowulf cluster
  • From: Eric Bittner <bittner at uh.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 03:36:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This is addressed mostly to people using the Parallel Computation Tool
kit.

The problem that I have is that I want to run a task using a series of
remote nodes that are behind a firewall or part of a beowulf cluster
but using a local frontend on my desktop computer.
i.e envision the following topology:

(me.edu)----(beowulf.edu)

                               + (node1.beowulf.edu , node2.beowulf.edu,
..... )

where node#.beowulf.edu    are nodes within the beowulf cluster
or behind a  firewall  that cannot be accessed directly via the internet
but can be accessed from within by logging on to the main node of the
cluster.

Is it possible to set up a RemoteSlave from my desktop to
  the main node (beowulf.edu)
and have it launch RemoteSlaves on the internal nodes?

The alternate (which works fine) is to open an X11 window for a
remote front-end on beowulf.edu and go from there.  The trouble is that
the cluster itself is located at a remote location (across campus) and
I hate
to waste the bandwidth and cycles keeping a window open.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Eric Bittner

--
Prof. Eric R. Bittner
Department of Chemistry
bittner at uh.edu
http://k2.chem.uh.edu/bittner/
The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent upon
it,
can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the
universe
to do. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)