Sparse matrices, v.4 vs v.5

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42600] Sparse matrices, v.4 vs v.5
  • From: "Roland Nilsson" <rolle at ifm.liu.se>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 05:24:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi people,

I noticed that Mathematica 5 had an upgrade on sparse matrices. Anybody know
if it's any good? I wasn't very impressed with the v4.2 approach using
functions like a[_,_]=0;a[1,2]=1, etc.

Also, have anyone seen some sparse-matrix algebra package for v4.2? I
anticipate my institution will take a while to get the upgrade done, and I'm
sort of in a hurry to get sparse matrices up & working...

---
Roland Nilsson
IFM Computational Biology
Linköping University, Sweden