RE: displaying a graphic without input

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42612] RE: [mg42592] displaying a graphic without input
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 05:25:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Matthew,

Put the graphics code in a closed cell.

To do this select the bracket of the cell and then use Alt C R C, which is
the same as the menu item Menu\Cell\Cell Properties\Cell Open. Now only a
thin empty cell remains in the notebook.

The cell can still be selected and evaluated to obtain the graphic output.
You may have to instruct or remind the reader to take notice of and evaluate
the cells.

A closed cell is not the same as a closed group. You can't open and close it
by double-clicking the bracket but must use the control keys above.

This is a nice way to put graphics in a notebook while hiding all of the
code that produces the graphic. And nice graphics often take extended code
once you put in all the options and touch-ups. All the more reason to hide
it.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Matthew Monopole [mailto:mathfield at hotmail.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

I am working on a tutorial for students...I want to show them how a function
looks like, for example:
Plot[Sin[x*pi],{x,-2,2}];
so I put this in input, evaluate it and then the graph pop up...okay...but
how do I hide this line of code and just have the output show up, because my
students don't really need to know how mathematica works (though it wouldn't
hurt, I suppose)...

thanx