Eulerian angles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42668] Eulerian angles
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <selwynh at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:20:01 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Some 5 or 6 years ago, I asked a question in MathGroup about the "Euler
angles" that are used by RotateShape. Apparently physicists know all
about this stuff, but I still have almost no feeling for what these
angles are about. So I thought I'd issue this challenge:

Create *the* graphic illustrating the Euler angles that ought to be in
the Mathematica Book --- hopefully understandable by a hack
mathematician and his calculus students.

The winner will receive glowing praise and thanks in a soon-to-be
published book.

-----
Selwyn Hollis
http://www.math.armstrong.edu/faculty/hollis