Re: Series

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42865] Re: Series
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:47:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Earlier I mentioned a TruncatedSeries package I recently posted at
  http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/4950/
Daniel Lichtblau promptly explained that it didn't give the intended result,
and showed how the method from Deprit and Abbott could be modified to allow
for a series expansion about a general base point. I have since corrected my
package to use the code recently provided by Daniel Lichtblau.

In addition I think I fixed thae package so that it will correctly truncate
a series in the following cases:
  TruncateSeries[f, {{x,Infinity}, {y,y0}}, n]
  TruncateSeries[f, {{x,x0}, {y,Infinity}}, n]

The method from Lichtblau, Deprit, and Abbott has the advantage that it can
handle an expansion in any number of variables. However, that method can't
handle a series expansion about Infitiy.

My new improved version is now posted at
  http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/4950/

Regards,
   Ted Ersek