Re: Usage of tex

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42678] Re: Usage of tex
  • From: AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:20:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <bfat4t$gs9$1 at smc.vnet.net>, akhmel at hotmail.com (Alex)
wrote:

> My naive perception is that when I click "Save as Special" and "Tex",
> I should get a Tex file which should be compatible with existing Tex
> systems. Am I demanding too much?

Yes, at least possibly, especially if LaTeX is involved.

Mathematica is preparing a TeX source file for you.  There may be things
your TeX setup needs to have to process that file -- especially certain
LaTeX ".sty" or ".cls" or other files if it's a LaTeX file, or possibly
certain fonts.

Mathematica is great; TeX is great; LaTeX is semi-great and widely used,
but the subsidiary files LaTeX requires, and where they have to be
located, can be very confusing initially.  Fonts are forever and always
a mess and a hassle.