Can't solve Diff Equ

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42732] Can't solve Diff Equ
  • From: Oliver Friedrich <oliver.friedrich at tzm.de>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 04:10:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hallo,

I try to solve the following differential equation:

equ=D[x[t], {t, 2}] == D[c[x], {x, 1}] D[x[t], {t, 1}]

DSolve[equ,x[t],t]

Mathematica 4.2 returns it unsolved.

1. Does DSolve need any more information ?

2. What kind of DiffEqu is it, can't solve DSolve those kinds at all ?

3. Are there some special packages capable of "cracking" this equation ?

To give some background information.

An acoustic signal propagates through a medium with propagation velocity
c[x], propagation depends on the location in the medium. I'm searching
for a function x[t] which describes the location of the pulse as a
function of time.

Any ideas ? I guess, that this problem should be well known. Is this
equation a well known one in this area?

Oliver Friedrich