maximization question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42747] maximization question
  • From: "Tun Lin" <tunlin220 at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 04:10:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello

I am a new user to Mathematica (second day of using it). I would like to ask
a possibly stupid question and would appreciate your help!

I try to solve a maximization problem and get stuck at the first step. This
step is to maximize a function with four inequality constraints, which I
describe in the link following. I first solved the question by hand  (the
results are also shown in the link), then tried mathematica. I kept getting
error messages as shown and the results are different. What is the problem?

The question and command line is at:

http://www.pbase.com/image/19486173/original

Thank you very much!

Tun