RE: Two Argument ArcTan Function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42783] RE: [mg42778] Two Argument ArcTan Function
  • From: "Wolf, Hartmut" <Hartmut.Wolf at t-systems.com>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:54:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 11:09 AM
>To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>Subject: [mg42783] [mg42778] Two Argument ArcTan Function
>

>Dear MathGroup,
>
>The two argument function, ArcTan[x,y], is a very nice function and
>Mathematica knows how to do a lot with it. But sometimes it is
>difficult to
>bring it into play without just typing it in.
>
>Consider the case of inverting polar coordinates.
>
>eqns = {x == r Cos[t], y == r Sin[t]};
>Solve[eqns, {r, t}, {x, y} \[Element] Reals] // Simplify
>
>If we discard the two negative r solutions, we obtain two solutions
>involving ArcCos. But couldn't we have a single solution using
>ArcTan[x,y]?
>I'm curious to know if there is a method to get Mathematica to
>produce that
>solution?
>
>David Park
>djmp at earthlink.net
>http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

Dear David,

if you have cartesian coordinates defined (symbolically) as

In[1]:= {x, y} = r{ Cos[t], Sin[t]} ;

then you may revert (symbolically) to polar with

In[11]:=
FullSimplify[{Sqrt[{x, y}.{x, y}], ArcTan[x, y]},
  {Positive[r], t \[Element] Reals},
  TransformationFunctions -> {Automatic, TrigToExp, PowerExpand}]

Out[11]= {r, t}

(It also works with assuption r \[Element] Reals (but I hate that).

Of course numerical work is easier.

--
Hartmut