math on unix, HOME env variable, relevance to CGI

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42208] math on unix, HOME env variable, relevance to CGI
  • From: Daniel Reeves <dreeves at umich.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 05:49:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

So it turns out if the environment variable HOME is not defined on Unix,
mathematica will segfault.

This turns out to matter if the environment in which your CGI scripts run
don't have HOME defined.

Just wanted to report this in hopes of saving the next person trying to
use mathematica in a CGI script a ton of debugging time.  (ugh)

Speaking of which, such folks will probably also be interested in MASH:
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/dreeves/mash/

--
Daniel Reeves  --  http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/dreeves/

"I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I
buy something." -- Jackie Mason