Help with Format Background Color Cell Gray Box

Friends,

I have some notes in text mode. I formatted the background with the Cell
Gray Box feature. I noticed that when I had a group of characters which were
created with a control key, that a little box appeared around the
characters. For example, x^6, with the control ^ creating a "nice" looking
exponent.

I am unable to get rid of the box, even when I change the background back to
none.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks,

Diana

--
"God made the integers, all else is the work of man."
L. Kronecker, Jahresber. DMV 2, S. 19.