Re: Simplify[x.Cross[x,y]] does not work.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40092] Re: Simplify[x.Cross[x,y]] does not work.
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 03:32:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <b599lq$s9r$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Jens Bloch Helmers <Jens.Bloch.Helmers at dnv.com> wrote:

> Is there a package that can do vector calculus?
> Eg. when I try the command: Simplify[x.Cross[x,y]]
> I get x.x cross y instead of 0.

At http://w3.pppl.gov/~hongqin/computerAlgebra.htm you will find reference to
a Mathematica Symbolic Vector Analysis package developed by Hong Qin. I
have made a  few minor changes to his Package (correcting some
formatting bugs) and put his Package, Notebooks, and PDF files at

  http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/pub/Mathematica/Calculus/

I suggest putting GeneralVectorAnalysis.m into a folder called Calculus
in the directory returned by evaluating $UserAddOnsDirectory.

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 9380 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 9380 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul