Re: Newbie question
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg40148] Re: Newbie question
- From: Bill Rowe <listuser at earthlink.net>
- Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 05:10:34 -0500 (EST)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 3/21/03 at 2:37 AM, daniel.lidstrom at _DELETE_home.se (Daniel Lidstr?m) wrote: >When I do Rationalize[N[Pi,3]] I get 3.14159. How can that be? I'm >expecting a quotient. Thanks! It looks like you are trying to get a rational number that approximates Pi with an error of no more than 0.01. If so, the best way to achieve this is using Rationalize[Pi,0.01] I believe N[x,p] returns x to as a machine number whenever p is equal to or less than the number of digits representable as a machine number.