proper way to manipulate lists?

I'm sure this is a one-liner, but it has stumped me for years.  Suppose
I'm working with a 2-d array of data,
	data = {{x1,y1},{x2,y2}...{xN,yN}};
and I want to transform the data according to,
	data2 = {{x1*a,y1*b},{x2*a,y2*b}...{xN*a,yN*b}};
The only way I know to do this is to move the data to excel,
performing the transform and then move the data back to Mathematica.  This
is crazy - there must be a better way - is there?  Please tell me there
is!

regards,

Nathan Moore, University of Minnesota Physics Department