Re: AW: about real part

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41258] Re: AW: about real part
  • From: "Dr. Wolfgang Hintze" <weh at snafu.de>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 04:03:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Duanxiang Xu,

I found some relevant information in the FAQ at:

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/mathematics/algebra/realvariables.html

For instance you find for the function Sqrt[]:

In[1]:= ComplexExpand[Sqrt[a + b I], TargetFunctions -> {Re, Im}]
Out[1]:=
(a^2 + b^2)^(1/4)*Cos[ArcTan[a, b]/2] +
I*(a^2 + b^2)^(1/4)*Sin[ArcTan[a, b]/2]

as expexted. Play with other functions (Exp, Abs, Re, ...) to see how
nice it works.

Regards,
Wolfgang