RE: Re: Palettes always on top

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41414] RE: [mg41386] Re: Palettes always on top
  • From: Bobby Treat <drmajorbob+MathGroup3528 at mailblocks.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 05:04:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Ah!  Yes, that works.  (I had already figured out how to edit the
palette in Notepad, however.)

BUT -- I found a better solution for the underlying problem -- namely,
that I could never see the palette I wanted to use.  They were always
hiding behind each other or behind the notebook I'm editing.  Floating
isn't a good solution -- the palette takes up space even when I'm not
using it.

I have two monitors side-by-side, and have taken to leaving
Mathematica's menu bar and palettes on one monitor, but putting the
notebook I'm working with on the other monitor (the LCD, where it is
much easier to read text).  No more shuffling windows to find a
palette, and no need to make palettes Floating.  I can keep six or
eight palettes open without cramping.

This works best if the Windows "primary" monitor is the CRT, since
Mathematica always opens palettes there.  It remembers where I last put
each palette, but only if it was on the primary monitor.  (?)

It took awhile to figure out how to change which monitor is primary,
but it was worth it.

There's one more glitch, though.  If I maximize a Mathematica window on the
monitor that isn't primary, it disappears except for its title bar.
Very strange.

Bobby