Errors in Copying and Pasting Heads of Expressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41433] Errors in Copying and Pasting Heads of Expressions
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 05:13:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have been obtaining a strange error when I copy and paste an expression
Head under 4.2.1 on Windows98. I wonder if other users obtain the same
error?

Below I have pasted a small Notebook expression that illustrates the error.
When I copied and pasted the head of Binomial[n,m] (as a simple random
example) it seemed to be pasted in as a TraditionalForm, but did not
evaluate properly. If I copy and paste the entire expression there is no
problem. I am not using any TraditionalForm and this was done in a fresh
notebook.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

Notebook[{

Cell[CellGroupData[{
Cell["Copying and Pasting Error", "Title"],

Cell[CellGroupData[{

Cell[BoxData[
    \(Binomial[n, \ m]\)], "Input"],

Cell[BoxData[
    \(Binomial[n, m]\)], "Output"]
}, Open  ]],

Cell["\<\
The following was copied and pasted from the input statement above. \
It looks like it is in TraditionalForm.  It doesn't evaluate \
properly.\
\>", "Text"],

Cell[CellGroupData[{

Cell[BoxData[
    \(InputForm\`Binomial\)], "Input",
  FormatType->StandardForm],

Cell[BoxData[
    \(Syntax::"sntxi" \(\(:\)\(\ \)\)
      "Incomplete expression; more input is needed.\!\(\"\"\)"\)], \
"Message"]
}, Open  ]],

Cell["If it is simply typed in there is no problem.", "Text"],

Cell[CellGroupData[{

Cell[BoxData[
    \(Binomial\)], "Input"],

Cell[BoxData[
    \(Binomial\)], "Output"]
}, Open  ]]
}, Open  ]]
},
FrontEndVersion->"4.2 for Microsoft Windows",
ScreenRectangle->{{0, 1280}, {0, 943}},
WindowSize->{494, 740},
WindowMargins->{{0, Automatic}, {Automatic, 0}}
]