evaluation until failure

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41659] evaluation until failure
  • From: davidmma at freemail.hu
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 08:15:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear MathGroup,

It is a haunting problem for me, that I would like to iterate a function
(eg. ConstrainedMin) with different arguments until it fails to give a
solution. In this case I used to "catch" the Message thrown by
ConstrainedMin with Check, but I can't deal with the side effect, that
ConstrainedMin prints a message ("The specified constraints cannot be
satisfied") when it fails. I would like to avoid printing this message.

If I turn off the ConstrainedMin::nsat message, I can't Check it.

If I redirect the $Messages output to nowhere, I may lose other
messages as well.

Are there any other (better) solutions?

Thanks you in advance,

David Rock