Re: SuSE 8.2: segmentation fault

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41689] Re: SuSE 8.2: segmentation fault
  • From: Timo Felbinger <Timo.Felbinger at quantum.physik.uni-potsdam.de>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 06:07:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Jan Michel wrote:

> I got the error above if I try starting mathematica 4.2
> on my SuSE 8.2 system. Is there a problem with the compa-
> bility to the glibc 2.3-Version? What to do?

I had the same problem, and yes, there is a glibc-2.3 compatible
version:

In the directory tree of your installed Mathematica 4.2, there
are 4 directories called "Binaries", each containing a
subdirectory "Linux" containing Linux binaries which claim
to be statically linked but, for some strange reason, seem to be
incompatible with glibc-2.3.

The installation CD contains, in addition to these "Linux"
directories, similar directories called "Linux-dyn", containing
dynamically linked binaries which do work with libc-2.3 (well, they
work for me, with glibc-2.3.2). You may have to install them manually,
as the installation script does not seem to know about them.

Then, in order to use the binaries in Linux-dyn, rather than in Linux,
you have to change the line
  sysid=Linux
  sysid=Linux-dyn
in all your Mathematica startup scripts (typically in /usr/local/bin).

Regards,

Timo Felbinger

--
Timo Felbinger           <Timo.Felbinger at quantum.physik.uni-potsdam.de>