Show In/Out Names

I would like to ask if anyone knows of a way to turn off the Kernel
option "Show In/Out Names."   Every time I start a new Notebook, I
select the Kernel menu item, and uncheck "Show In/Out Names."
I have looked everywhere, and there does not appear to be a global
option for this.

I looked around Developer`SetSystemOptions, but had no luck there
either.

I am using version 5.0.
Thank you in advance.

Dana