Derivative of a funtion evaluated at a point in 3D

Hello, I am totally new to Mathematica and trying to program a simple
FEM-type problem. I am trying to take the partial derivative
(symbolically) of an expression that is a function of four points in
3D. All I can think of to do is F[p1,p2,p3,p4] = stuff then
D[F,p1,p2,p3,p4] . But I keep getting a zero expression as a result.
(where stuff is a nasty combination of these points) Any thoughts?