Re: Re: Derivative of a funtion evaluated at a point in 3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44474] Re: [mg44468] Re: Derivative of a funtion evaluated at a point in 3D
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:01:25 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I guess nobody answered you because everyone expected someone else to
do so. The answer is pretty trivial, in Mathematica you don't define a
function by:

>> F[p1,p2,p3,p4] = stuff

but by

F[p1_,p2_,p3_,p4_] = stuff

You then use

D[F[p1,p2,p3,p4],p1] to get the first derivative with respect to p1,
D[F[p1,p2,p3,p4],{p1,2}] to get the second and so on. I am afraid there
are no shortcuts in Mathematica and you just have to learn the basics
yourself.

Andrzej Kozlowski