Re: Readability confuses mathematica?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg44528] Re: Readability confuses mathematica?
- From: Bill Rowe <readnewscix at mail.earthlink.net>
- Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 02:27:34 -0500 (EST)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 11/12/03 at 8:01 AM, patrick.m.lahey at aero.org (patrick_m_lahey) wrote: > Consider: > In:= D[x-x0,x] > except that x0 is really x ctrl-- 0 (x subscript 0). Normally that > would be a completely independent variable from x but not according to > mathematica! If you look at the FullForm of the subscripted variable you will find it is Subscript[x,0], that is it looks like a function of x and 0 rather than what you want. Consequently, you get the results you noted. To get the results you want, you need to "symbolize" the subscripted variable, i.e. make it look like any other symbol. There is a package available on the Mathematica Resources web site to do this written by Ted Ersek. -- To reply via email subtract one hundred and nine