How to NOT convert Sin[x]/Cos[x] to Tan[x] ?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg44784] How to NOT convert Sin[x]/Cos[x] to Tan[x] ?
- From: AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu>
- Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:38:09 -0500 (EST)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
The Mathematica Book says "Mathematica automatically uses functions like Tan whenever it can" and shows as an example that Sin[x]^2/Cos[x] is converted to Sin[x] Tan[x] . Any simple way to stop this in displaying the output of a symbolic calculation? The obvious attempt of applying /.Tan[x]->Sin[x]/Cos[x] doesn't seem to do what's wanted. [And out of curiousity, WHY does it do this? That is, why is Tan apparently given a higher priority than Cos?]