Mathematica 4.2 and Mandrake 9.2

Oh, dear.  I upgraded from Mandrake 9.0 to Mandrake 9.2--well, I
completely reformatted the drives and installed fresh, I don't trust
updaters--then reinstalled Mathematica 4.2, and...

All I get are segmentation faults.  (When I execute "math", the
command-line version, I do get a copyright notice, THEN a segmentation
fault.)

I remember having trouble when upgrading to 9.0:  the utility
"uncompress" isn't in Mandrake, and the Mathematica installer uses it.
Finding it STILL isn't in Mandrake (how stupid of MandrakeSoft--it's a
heritage UNIX app and SHOULD be in every U**X distribution) I installed
it in /bin (then had to do the whole thing over again, because I forgot
to make it executable).

Doesn't change Mathematica's mind.  The installer runs without error
messages, but the program still segfaults when I try to start it.

Any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix it?  A library name
change, n'est-ce pas?

--Ron Bruck