Re: Newbie: plot data from a text file?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg43835] Re: Newbie: plot data from a text file?
  • From: "Lisa M. Downward" <lmd at>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 04:47:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Check out the 'Import' function in the help file.  It allows you to import
data in a file into a Mathematica List then you can use 'ListPlot' (also
in the Help file; you will need to load the Graphics package for

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, McGee wrote:

> Hi all,
> (I checked the manual and online help for this but I haven't found
> anything).
> I have some C code that generates ordered (x,y) pairs of data. I'd
> like to be able to simply use Mathematica to plot this data. I don't
> see any arguments to Plot[] that allow this, nor do I see an
> alternative.
>  Am I missing something obvious? Or is Mathematica the wrong tool for
> this . . .
> Thanks,
> McGee

Lisa M. Downward                        Office:     Nat Sci II 328
UCSC Physics Dept - Graduate Student    Office Ph:  (831) 459-3646
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."