Re: Run[] and Mathlink

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43855] Re: Run[] and Mathlink
  • From: "John Jowett" <John.Jowett at cern.ch>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 01:54:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello James,
        It's not quite impossible.  Instead of something like

    Run["dir"]

you can also try

    ReadList["!dir",String]

or even

    Import["!dir","Lines"] .

and you will not get a console window appearing under Windows 2000.   Of
course it is not equivalent to Run[] because Mathematica has to wait for the
"console output"  to appear and the command to terminate.  However that
might be enough, depending on your needs, and it's easier than Mathlink.

[For accelerator people like us:
You may be interested in the runMAD function in my Madtomma`RunningMAD
package which uses this technique to run the MAD program.  It can be
downloaded (with other packages) from

http://jowett.home.cern.ch/jowett/Mathematica/math.zip

Under Windows 2000 and XP you can set the runMADNThack option to False
(default is still True, maybe I should change that ... ) and the console
windows will not appear.    See also the MADprogram option of runMAD.]

John Jowett