Re: Run[] and Mathlink

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg43855] Re: Run[] and Mathlink
  • From: "John Jowett" <John.Jowett at>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 01:54:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hello James,
        It's not quite impossible.  Instead of something like

you can also try

or even

    Import["!dir","Lines"] .

and you will not get a console window appearing under Windows 2000.   Of
course it is not equivalent to Run[] because Mathematica has to wait for the
"console output"  to appear and the command to terminate.  However that
might be enough, depending on your needs, and it's easier than Mathlink.

[For accelerator people like us:
You may be interested in the runMAD function in my Madtomma`RunningMAD
package which uses this technique to run the MAD program.  It can be
downloaded (with other packages) from

Under Windows 2000 and XP you can set the runMADNThack option to False
(default is still True, maybe I should change that ... ) and the console
windows will not appear.    See also the MADprogram option of runMAD.]

John Jowett