RE: 4-D plot?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg44155] RE: [mg44118] 4-D plot?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 04:24:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Mathematica can't make straight 4-D plots anymore than any one else can.

So you would have to resort to various other methods to present the data.

What method is best depends very strongly on the nature of the actual data

1) You could make a 3D plot of color coded points. That is, {a,b,c} would
give the coordinates of the point and the X value would be coded in the
color of the point. This might be more effective if you grouped the X-values
into  2 or 3 bands so that there were only 2 or 3 colors, and if the high
and low values were spatially separated. You could rotate the 3D plot to
obtain a better view.

2) You could use multiple images. If the plot in (1) were too cluttered you
might make a separate plot for each group of X-values. Or you might group
c-values and make a series of a-b-X plots for each c-group. Again, what
works best depends very strongly on the nature of the actual data and the
relationships you are trying to illustrate.

3) Instead of multiple images you could use an animation.

If you have only a small set of data a table might be better than any
graphical presentation.

David Park
djmp at

From: Sheth, Payal R. [mailto:prsheth at]
To: mathgroup at

Can anyone help me with a plot I am trying to generate?
I am trying to plot changes in values of x with respective
to three different variables a, b, c. The data looks something
like this..Does Mathematica have any function which would
allow plotting of this set of data? Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks much

a              b             c                X
5              1             10               0.005
10             1             5                0.015
100            100           1                0.5
10             10            5                0.1