Assigning elements to a matrix

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg47358] Assigning elements to a matrix
  • From: Mark Coleman <mark at>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:36:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I need to create a series of n x n matrices, in both conventional and
sparse matrix formats. I have a (large) table of lists, where each list
is of the form:

{i,j,value}, where {i,j} are the row-column indices and value is the
corresponding numerical value, i.e., m[[i,j]]=value.

Using this data I need to create an n x n matrix where all the values
except those specified in my list are 0. I would also like to create a
similar matrix, this time using Mathematica's built-in SpareMatrix format.

Can anyone suggest a way to do this?