All combinations

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg47357] All combinations
  • From: János <janos.lobb at>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:36:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I need in a list of all 'k' length combinations of set of 'n' different
elements where k can be smaller or bigger than n.  For example if I
have n=4 and the set is {a,b,c,d} then all combinations of k=7 length
would be

and the Length of it is about 4^7, in general n^k.

I looked <<DiscreteMath`Combinatorica and  found Permutations, but it
is just a subset I am looking for.  I can program it out, but would
prefer a built in or add-on functions if one is already there.

Can you point me to the right direction ?

Thanks ahead,
So, while openness provides a couple of security advantages in itself,
the chief reason why Linux and BSD offer superior security is not so
much because they're open source, but because they're not Windows.